Nov 7, 2018
What is a Derricknym? Listen to this episode and you will
Meet Derrick Hayes, an Encouragement Speaker, Author, and an
enTIEtainer. Derrick has the unique talent of turning names and
words into positive messages within seconds right before someone's
eyes. This skill set has enabled Derrick to create the AUTISM
Interview that is featured each month in the Autism Parenting
Magazine. His philosophy of "people are people" and that you need
to treat people with respect empowers people and leads them to
IN THIS EPISODE:
- In this episode Derrick Hayes is our guest.
- Derrick is a motivational speaker. He has written books and
developed an AUTISM Interview.
- Derrick has a certain skill set in which he uses each letter of
his name to set up interview questions. The DERRICK Interview has
been used to interview different people and even celebrities.
- Autism Parenting Magazine began to follow Derrick. He had been
working with teens and adult males with autism at the time. He
pitched an idea to them.
- It was the same concept as the DERRICK Interview except it used
the letters in the word AUTISM to set up questions.
- He pitched the idea to Autism Parenting Magazine and they liked
- There is an interview published once a month in the
- A- awareness. Not everyone is aware that something is different
or in denial.
- U- unique. How has this experience been unique? Every
experience is different.
- T- tools. What tools are there now, that weren’t there before?
What tools have worked? More and more we become more innovative and
learn from each other.
- I- inspire. When you look at your child what inspires you? You
need to have and give inspiration. You need to see something in
- S- support. What are things you struggle or have struggled
with? What support do you still need because there is maybe a
reader out there that may have answers or suggestions for you? It
is putting info out to receive info.
- M- management. What keys to success can you leave with parents
so they can better manage their day-to-day efforts? Networking is
key with this.
- Derrick has worked in many places and seen a lot of different
- He says it is all the same you just need to treat people with
respect and get to know people and build a relationship.
- People are people.
- Derrick calls what he does Derricknyms.
- For example: always network now to empower talents to excel
stands for ANNETTE. On the spot he turned Annette's name into a
- MAY mediation assures you or aligns you.
- It’s a great way to open conversation and open doors.
- He personalizes cards and people keep his cards because of the
personal message that he gives them using their names.
- Derrick's new brand is the enTIEtainer. He empowers people to
greatness while putting on a tie.
- His friend wanted bow tie Mondays so Derrick began to speak
while tying a bow tie.
- He turned this skill into teaching people how to tie ties and
bow ties and do different tricks with them while he tell
- The necktie has been a tool to start a conversation.
- It's especially positive for males because when they tie their
ties for a job interview or go to work it is paired with a positive
message to take with them.
- 1. Love your children.
- There are a lot of resources. You don’t need to do everything
yourself. Don’t be afraid to reach out, even if it is outside your
community. Nobody has all the answers, but when people come to the
table with love there are more resources.