Jul 3, 2018
In this episode Dr. Nunez begins by reading an inspiring letter written by a principal of one of her clients. This letter is positive and encouraging and will bring a tear to any parents eye who has a child on the spectrum. However, you will soon find out that the journey to get to this letter wasn’t so positive. Dr. Nunez and Maylene talk about the journey of this client and how he was able to change the minds of people who doubted him.
When we hear the word autism we often create ideas in our mids of what autism looks like. In this episode we address this and how it impacted one of Dr. Nunez client’s. Through a year of coaching the client, parents, teachers, and school administrators everyone learned to NEVER judge a book by its cover.
IN THIS EPISODE:
- Dr. Nunez begins the episode by reading a tear jerking letter
written by one of her client’s principals.
- In this letter the principal expresses how proud she is of this client and how he had such an amazing school year.
- However, Dr. Nunez quickly explains that this principal did not feel like this a year ago.
- A year ago the school administration thought this kid was a severe “behavioral problem.”
- They questioned if he would be able to comlete the school year.
- Dr. Nunez and Maylene talk about the highs and the lows of the school year.
- Dr. Nunez explains that she never stopped believing in this client.
- She knew that he was truly a good kid.
- She coached him to believe in himself.
- She taught him how to react to others who didn’t believe in him.
- She also told him that he was in an environment in which everyone expected him to fail.
- Maylene and Dr, Nunez talk about the strategies that were implemented.
- They involved coaching the parents, teachers, and counselors.
- And coaching the client to stay positove and to focus on the positive instead of the negative.
- By the end of the year this client was feeling good about himself and was not a “behavioral problem.”
- In return, the school started to see this kids potential and all of his positive qualities.
- This kid believed in himself and others started to believe in him too.
Learn to Mindshift… Below are the two Mindshifts from this podcast: